Wednesday, August 17, 2011

New Food Find! Almond Butter!

This stuff  ROCKS!!



A cousin to peanut butter, (which I love) this is my new favorite pantry staple!  Here's some nutritional info from 'Bestnaturalfoods.com'

Almonds and almond butter are nutritional powerhouses that contain significant amounts of protein, calcium, fiber, magnesium, folic acid, potassium, and vitamin E. Almond butter has extremely low saturated fat content and is rich in monounsaturated fats making it a heart-healthy choice. Of course, almonds have no trans fat. Studies consistently have shown that the addition of almonds into the diet effectively lowers cholesterol. Unlike low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets, adding almonds does not adversely alter insulin sensitivity in healthy adults or blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes.

In addition calorie count is 190 per 2 tablespoons..a tad less than peanut butter.  Fiber is 3 g. one more than peanut butter. Yeah, we need fiber!

The texture is a bit grainy, it's a little sweeter and thicker than pb, but tastes so very luscious on those crispy, Kashi TLC crackers!  Or on a spoon!

It's also kid approved as Lex took a taste outside her culinary comfort zone and gave it a big 'Yes!'

Try it, you'll like it! 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of this before and wondered. I will have to put it on my shopping list. Especially if Lexie approves it!!

    I've also tried almond milk. It was highly touted on a weight loss site I frequent. When I went to the store of course there were a dozen varieties. I chose 'unsweetened' (because it had the least calories, duh!) It wasn't very good. It was drinkable, but that's all.

    I usually use Silk Light (soy milk). Sometimes I get the Vanilla variety. I dont have to use any sugar or anything on my (very bland) cereal with the Silk milk. Plus, I've found Gabbie can tolerate it much better than 'regular' milk.

    I've also heard a lot about Nutella. Have you ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete